What to Do When Your First-Choice School Is Full
Your top-choice school sends a polite email. They're full. They have a waiting list, and you can join it if you'd like. Your heart sinks. You thought this was settled.
This happens constantly in competitive school markets. It's not the end. But it does require strategy.
Understanding the Waitlist
How waitlists actually work varies by school. Some schools rank candidates and work through the list in order. Others treat it as "get back to you if space opens." Ask the school directly: Is this ranked or rolling? When did I enter the list? How many people are ahead of me? How often do spaces open?
Some schools are transparent. They'll tell you their typical attrition rate: "About 10 percent of families leave mid-year. Maybe 5 percent of confirmed spots fall through before start date." Other schools vague, which usually means either they don't know or they don't want to be accountable.
Waitlists matter differently depending on timing. If you're joining in September for an August start that's months away, waitlists mean something. If you're joining a waitlist in June for an August start, you're probably not getting in unless someone leaves suddenly.
The Pragmatic Approach
Don't put all your hope in a waitlist. Secure a backup school immediately. Once you've enrolled elsewhere, you can stay on the waitlist without stress. This sounds obvious but many families psychologically can't move forward with second-choice schools while waiting for first choice.
Staying on a waitlist while already enrolled at another school gives you advantages. You're not desperate. You can be patient. You can make genuine decisions if something opens up instead of panicking into a yes.
Some schools understand this. They know families should enroll elsewhere while waiting. But some schools interpret this as non-serious interest and move you down the list. Ask: "If we enroll at another school while on your waitlist, will that affect our position?" This matters.
Expressing Genuine Interest
If the school is truly your first choice and you're on the waitlist, stay in genuine contact. Not obsessive contact, but genuine interest. A handwritten note to the head of admissions: "We're on your waitlist. This school aligns perfectly with our family values. We're excited about the possibility of joining, and we're keeping an eye on updates."
Ask if there's anything else the school needs from you. Additional transcripts? A video from your child? Another reference? Not because they probably need it, but because asking signals genuine interest.
If your child will be flexible on start date, mention that. "We can join mid-year if that helps. We can start mid-term. We're flexible." This matters to schools because it expands potential openings.
If you have a child already at the school, getting a second child into the same school is much easier than getting into a full school as a brand new family. Schools value keeping siblings together and value retention. Mention existing siblings when you're waitlisted.
Conversely, if you're enrolling one child and hoping for space for another later, ask: "If we enrol our daughter now, can our son join us next year?" Schools usually say yes, though sometimes space really doesn't open.
While you're on a waitlist, get to know your backup options. Sometimes second-choice schools turn out better than you expected. Your child might prefer the smaller community. The teachers might be more responsive. The academics might genuinely align better with how your child learns.
This isn't settling. It's being open. Some of the best school fits happen when families stop fixating on perceived prestige and pick the school that actually fits their kid.
Talk to current parents at your backup school. Serious conversations might convince you it's genuinely the better choice. If not, you're at least informed.
Some families do temporary placements at one school while remaining on a waitlist at first choice. This is more common than you'd think, especially at international schools where mid-year movement is expected. Your child learns at School B. If School A opens up, you move mid-year.
This works if School B is actually good and you frame it as a positive move, not a placeholder. Most kids adapt to mid-year moves, but it's still a move. Make sure it's worth it.
When should you accept a place at second choice instead of staying on a waitlist indefinitely? If the waitlist is truly long, if you like your second choice, and if your child needs to start school, you should probably just accept. Waiting forever for a maybe isn't fair to your child.